Home > Reviews > I asked a Mechanical Engineer about ELF Emmit. This is what he said.

I asked a Mechanical Engineer about ELF Emmit. This is what he said.

From their indiegogo page:

ELF emmit: A Wearable for the Optimized Self

ELF emmit improves focus, sleep, stress, & more, combining ancient traditions and modern technology.

ELF emmit uses non-invasive and FDA Approved technology to actively influence positive change in your daily life by emitting pulses at specific frequencies, optimized to attain a desired state of mind, at any given moment.

They claim they can change any one of the 5 brainwave types: gamma, beta, alpha, delta, or theta by emitting “pulses” at certain frequencies.

I have a friend who is a mechanical engineer. He previously worked for companies that manage proton therapy systems. I showed him the indiegogo page and this is what he said:

“Yeah, this is bullshit. In TMS, the instantaneous coil current is actually very high, into the kiloamps. A headphone output will provide maybe 500 mW of power into some fairly high resistance. All they did was put that output through a very small coil. In other words, if this worked, we would be dead if we brought our heads next to a power transformer.”

So yeah. ELF Emmit = Snake Oil. $119 Snake Oil.

Advertisements
  1. AbsentElemental
    September 4, 2016 at 10:31 pm

See, I would love for something like this to work. I’d love to get a good night’s sleep with little effort. But I’m not shocked to see it be snake oil.

2. September 7, 2016 at 9:03 am

i also question the role of their dr noah charney as he is an art historian and novelist, NOT a neuroscientist…..appears to be big time bullshit…..

3. Jim Waid
    October 28, 2016 at 9:33 am

Except tDCS does work powered off of a 9v battery. This is what I’m trying to figure out. Is this working in the same way that tDCS works, which is to send very low voltage to different parts of the brain for various effects, or is this just a $120 piece of new age snake oil. If it’s not low volume age, are they achieving similar results via a different method. What I want to see is a real double blind case study on the product.

4. C-Note
    November 5, 2016 at 10:37 am

There is something that really exists that is similar to this, but it is insanely expensive and the size of a dentist chair (and even this has smaller claims than ELF). Plus, you’ll have to go to a psychologist or psychiatrist to use it, and those sessions will be expensive. Until the APA backs this, and as Jim says we see some double blind studies done by reputable colleges or researchers, this should be seen as a scam.

5. Heather L Urban
    November 6, 2016 at 9:11 pm

I decided to buy into the snake oil since I am a healthcare analyst, and saw an advertisement while writing up an article for work. Intrigued by the idea, I ordered mine and decided to do some more digging. While I was waiting for mine to arrive, I found there are no published academics from any health institutions, university or otherwise, in the world on this device. I also found the US location is actually an offshore address based in Jersey. The “owner” seemingly has no medical background, or medical engineering, and based on the details the website states of when the idea for the Elf was created, would have been a toddler. After I systematically broke down the website, I noted the disclaimer that this was not a medical device, and therefore does not need FDA approval or regulation. I too questioned a friend on the claims of the electromagnetic pulse output, and his response was a resounding “Hell no. Just listen to some music with that proposed frequency, that’s all its really doing”. Meanwhile I got an email asking me what color Is like mine in, so I asked for blue. Mine was shipped on time, from Slovenia this past week. Instead of blue, I got white. There SHOULD have been a printed insert, as a packaging picture details however, I got nothing. Googling offered me an app, that essentially sucks. I felt nothing when I had it on at any level. So I’m in total agreement on traveling salesman snake oil pitch.

6. Ruth
    January 12, 2017 at 6:36 pm

I fell for this snake oil as well. When I tried to return it to Slovenia, wherever the f..k that is in Europe, it will cost $88. They will not take it if it is returned via USPS because it can’t be tracked. So now I’m stuck with $129 snake oil that serves no purpose. Good lesson for me to learn that when it sounds to outrageous to be true then it is too outrageous and therefore do not fall into the trap. And to look and see where the company is based and where they are shipping from. Expensive lesson indeed.

• Tab
      January 21, 2017 at 10:21 am

I returned mine and I’m still waiting for a refund a month and a half after sending it back. Customer service is crap and they make the refund process really difficult. Definite snake oil

7. Jonathan
    March 4, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Yes, it’s probably snake oil. BUT…

Your mechanical engineer friend is suddenly a highly qualified electrical/ electronic engineer? Amps and volts/ nuts and bolts.

There is no evidence in your review/rant/opinion based on any actual research or testing. If you want to be taken seriously, provide references based on sound academic research.

It is totally absurd to think that if someone could affect the ability of every human to concentrate, sleep on demand, relax or whatever else the claims make, that the device would be on sale for a measly 100 odd $. The fact that the company website provides zero information relating to research or fact would raise the alarm as to the legitimacy of the product. you could have started with that statement rather than confusing mechanical with electrical.

8. March 22, 2017 at 10:46 am

https://www.hemi-sync.com May I suggest one of these? I was turned on to the Monroe institute maybe 20 years ago at a meditation workshop. We put on headphones, the track started and I fell “asleep”….deep relaxation. After that round,I asked the workshop leader if I could watch but not participate in the next round. So I slipped one of the headphones off and listen in just one ear as I watched my friends talking and then one by one slip into deep meditation. They use two different sounds in each ear which causes a you to hear a “wave” sound that only exists in your head space, it occupies your conscious brain. This is an over simplified explanation but I have used, still use it. Go to the sight and read about it if you like. I use the pink noise to help me study and I have a favorite meditation track. For $15 your not out big buck to see if you like it.

1. September 14, 2016 at 9:23 pm