Banned from Reddit, Reddit’s arbitrary self-promotion rule
So I linked to my own blog, different articles, on Reddit twice. There is no rule explicitly against this practice. But I was banned anyway.
The rule clearly states:
”Feel free to post links to your own content (within reason). If that’s all you ever post, and it always seems to get voted down instantly, take a good hard look in the mirror — you just might be a spammer.”
Within reason. They really need to create a specific quantitative guideline (1 self-promotion per week) otherwise its just arbitrary who they or the “report” button says they can ban. My account is relatively new. I don’t link to a lot of other stuff because, most popular links are already up, and they don’t do duplicate links. The few comments I have posted have been well thought-out and insightful.
I’m not the only person to complain about this issue in particular and being “silently banned” by IP address:
This happens all the time with Reddit. Rather than outright ban users, they mute them without any indication. The muting is done by IP address, but the ability to see your own comments is done by user name. Ostensibly this is to fight spam (like a honeypot), but there are indications that it can be invoked automatically with the report button — apparently the oversight on report is intermittent, and the user is frequently just muted until an admin looks into it. An associate of mine pointed otut that this has the convenient side effect of maintaining the user’s ad impressions without allowing them a voice.
If you have a reddit account that you don’t care about getting IP banned on (like a work computer), reddit this shit, and the other links I posted to.
I’m sticking to StumbleUpon from now on.
- I asked a Mechanical Engineer about ELF Emmit. This is what he said.
- The Cult of Cutco: How Vector Marketing Mass-Hires Students into Dubious Contract Labor
- Professional Hair Product Alternatives - Same Ingredients, 1/3 the Price
- Are Women Cleaner than Men?
- The Cult of Cutco Tries Desperately to Knock Me Off Google
- Fuck you, Lending Tree, Fuck you
- Men are NOT Raped More than Women in the US
- Best of Clantily Scad
- Swagbucks vs. Ibotta: Two Cash-back Shopping Programs for Beer Money
- Libertarianism and Generation Z
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.