Jezebel Teaches me how to be Hipster AND Racist
There’s been a lot of talk these last couple of weeks about “hipster racism” or “ironic racism”—or, as I like to call it, racism. It’s, you know, introducing your black friend as “my black friend”—as a joke!!!—to show everybody how totally not preoccupied you are with your black friend’s blackness. It’s the gentler, more clueless, and more insidious cousin of a hick in a hood; the domain of educated, middle-class white people (like me—to be clear, I am one of those) who believe that not wanting to be racist makes it okay for them to be totally racist.
Examples of Hipster Racism According to Lindy West:
Thanks, Jezebel. I will be sure not to wear my large-framed eyeglasses over my Klan hat, like your graphic on an anti-irony and anti-racism article so artfully depicts. I’ll also be sure to tell my black friends that race is “made-up” and “arbitrary” like” Santa Claus” so they no longer have to worry about sickle cell anemia.
Next week on Hipster Sexism:
“Women can’t be lawyers.” -Ruth Bader Ginsberg
Next week on Hipster Classism:
Next week on Hipster Ageism: I’m going to buy rocking chairs and live-blog my knitting party. Where all my friends with scoliosis will most certainly complain about the colored folk.
- The Cult of Cutco: How Vector Marketing Mass-Hires Students into Dubious Contract Labor
- Liz Katz and the Cosplay Controversy
- Men are NOT Raped More than Women in the US
- Fuck you, Lending Tree, Fuck you
- Ylvis Pronunciation ("What Does the The Fox Say?")
- The Cult of Cutco Tries Desperately to Knock Me Off Google
- Death Created Time to Grow the Things that it Would Kill
- Thor: An Allegory of One Man's Internal Struggle with Bicuriosity and Penis Size
- Ten Intriguing Documentaries to Stream on Netflix
- Banned from Reddit, Reddit's arbitrary self-promotion rule
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.